We send out Periodic Newsletters, but all the information they contain will be posted on our website.
14 May 2020Instant experts
The Arts Society invites you to become an Instant Expert on
Marc Allum is your guide
06 May 2020The Arts Society
Don't forget that the Arts Society in London are providing lockdown diversions by favourite lecturers.
06 May 2020YouTube from the National Gallery
Recommended by your Chairman
“ Curators Introduction-Drawn in Colour-Degas from the Burrell”.
04 May 2020BBC programme on Lee Miller
You might be interested in a programme about Lee Miller which was broadcast on BBC 2 at 10.30 on Saturday Evening May 2nd.
It was the Documentary of the Week
Lee Miller: A Life on the Front Line
Many of you will remember Antony Penrose’s lecture " Man Ray, The Magic Man"on June 9th 2015 in which he gave a fascinating insight into the life of his father, Roland Penrose and his mother Lee Miller. Click here to see the lecture programme for 2014-15.
The BBC programme was excellent. Lee Miller was a remarkable woman famous as a fashion model, the muse and lover of Man Ray, a friend of Picasso, a Surrealist Photographer and a Photo Journalist in WW2, amongst other things!
The programme is highly recommended.
28 April 2020Online Live Art History Talk
Online Live Art History Talk
The Art of Isolation: Edward Hopper’s Masterpieces
Please note all proceeds of this lecture will be donated to Age UK
- When? Friday 1st May, 11.00am (UK time)
- Where? Online, via Zoom webinar
- How long will it last? 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A session
- How much does it cost? £7.50. All proceeds will be donated to Age UK
- How do I register? By clicking the link here
- Who is giving this talk? Arts Society lecturer Stella Grace Lyons
- Contact email@example.com for more information.
Art Historian moves lectures online to raise money for the elderly and isolated. More information in Newsletter sent out today.
27 April 2020#Museums from Home event
26 April 2020How to get your share of culture during the Shutdown.
- Check out National Theatre live. Last week there was Tamsin Greig in Twelfth Night.
- If that is too highbrow for you, you can also go to YouTube. An interview with Judy Dench at the National Theatre, or Spike Milligan!
- Also don’t forget the Arts Society Connected. Sarah Dunant on Venice in April. Mark Hill and Nicola Moorby in May.
26 April 2020Membership renewal for 2020-21
Before Jane (firstname.lastname@example.org) begins the membership renewal process
- could any members who intend to resign this year let her know as soon as possible.
- Also any change either of address, telephone numbers or e-mail should also be sent to her.
26 April 2020Committee Decisions
The Committee met successfully using “Zoom” and decided:
- The AGM will not now take place in June. Constitutionally we can have it any time provided it is held once a year.
- The Membership renewal for 2020/21 will be delayed until July/August. It is hoped that by then we will have a better idea of the way forward.
The Chairman reports :
Other items of interest you might wish to note are that we have received emails from Tony Rawlins, Howard Smith and Graham Griffiths thanking us for paying them for their cancelled lectures. It was much appreciated. We will be booking them again in the future. There is however a question mark over the September lecture as the speaker is travelling from the Netherlands. We will keep you updated. Kati is already working on the programme for 2021/2022.
Newsletter 32 sent out on 26th April.
15 March 2020Lectures Cancelled
The April and May Lectures of the Arts Society Lomond and Argyll have been cancelled.
Watch this space for News of the June Lecture!
Please spread the word!
11 March 2020Performance of Mendelssohn's Elijah
Very much the Messiah of its time,
this hughly popular piece will be performed
in Glasgow City Halls
Sunday May 10th at 4pm